The Silent Darkness


I’ve been having a really hard time lately and I am needing to express what’s going on to expel these feelings/thought. I’m not writing this to get sympathy or praise, nothing like that. I actually refrain from saying some things because they are such raw emotions. But I realized by not writing them out I’m not being genuine. I started writing to help me work through this fucking disease, and to be a positive outlet for my creative mind. By not expressing myself, I am not being true to myself. So if you really empathize or feel compassion for me, please feel free to share; but if you are just saying “kind” words because you feel obligated, please keep it to yourself. I’m writing these raw and dark emotions not just for myself but hopefully show other people out there that they are not alone. Maybe they’re like me and don’t like to ask for help, or call someone to open your soul to; being so open and vulnerable with someone is scary. I’m learning to lean on my loved ones, it’s still a struggle but I’m working on it. I guess I feel awkward crying to someone, or just the sheer vulnerability you feel when opening up, is just flat out hard. Schwannomatosis is teaching me to be humble and ask for help, I have my slip ups so its a work in progress.
Lately I haven’t been sleeping; I’m getting about 4 to 5 hours, at most, of sleep and it’s broken up into 2-hour increments. The lack of sleep, on top of the pain, has been very hard. The experimental pain medication, oxcarbazepine, I’m taking isn’t working. So I saw my pain doctor on Monday, he’s now referring me to the neuropathy clinic; wish he had done this sooner but I'm glad we’re trying other avenues to help ease my pain. I have a disease that there is no cure for, so my option is to try and find some reprieve from the pain. I was also on lidocaine infusions, which were helping but then I had a skin reaction, and now my pain doctor is very hesitant to start me back on the infusions. So hopefully at the neuropathy clinic we can figure out some other potential infusions/procedures, or meds. We’re in uncharted waters and doing experimental options. Chris was very frustrated that it took the pain doctor a year to refer me to the neuropathy clinic. I understand his frustration but I also appreciate the pain doctor not pawning me off onto another doctor, that’s what happened to me when we were in Dallas. I can respect he wanted to give me a year to try and help me. Now that we’re running out of options, he’s sending me down another avenue that may be able to help.  
I’m grateful to be getting off of oxcarbazepine (the experimental medication). It wasn’t working and was causing me to have increased suicidal thoughts. Now I know this may be weird but I allow myself, every now and then, to have the thought that I want to die; I don’t shame myself for feeling that way. The constant pain, and the lack of sleep are exhausting, and I can only stay strong and positive for so long. I’m human and allowed my weak moments but these thoughts were starting to become constant. Chris and I got into one of our silly squabbles the other day, like every couple does, and I twisted the fight into fueling my horrible thoughts of how he’d be better off without me. I went into our closet, crumbled to the floor, sobbing, and honestly thought, “I want to die and wish we had a gun. I don't want to feel this shit anymore.” In that brief moment, I was so scared of my own thoughts; I know what it's like to have your own mind betray you and become your worst enemy. Chris was home and I didn’t want to burden him more with this heavy shit; I just thought about killing myself, how do you tell the one you love that, especially when your fucked up mind is already telling you that you’re a burden? I didn’t want to listen to that dark side of my mind, so I called my old therapist from Dallas. She is an amazing person, and I am so grateful for all her help over these years. She picked up the phone and was instantly a light in the dark tunnel I was in. She helped me realize many things but one of them is, I am not a burden and I need to train my mind to stop thinking of myself as a burden. One’s mind can only take so much onslaught of negativity before it snaps. So now if I have a weak moment, I redirect my thoughts to a positive one. I tell my negative side to shut the fuck up and that I bring more joy into my loved ones’ lives than bad moments. I also know Chris loves the shit out of me but in those debacles I feel guilty for this being his life. I know we’re both so frustrated and want to fix this, but there’s no fixing, just adapting.
I hate having these suicidal thoughts, they’re not who I am. I’ve lost friends to suicide, so I’ve seen that side of depression’s ugly face as well; I honestly hate depression. It can ruin peoples’ lives and tear families apart. I've been dealing with depression most of my life and what has helped me was completely changing my lifestyle. I made a lot of dramatic changes, I started to eat healthy, do yoga on a daily basis, practice meditation, take CBD (if you don’t know what CBD is I highly recommend looking it up, it’s a wonderful medication), I found different activities and passions I never knew I liked; I wanted, and quite frankly needed, to feel something other than the utter emptiness I was feeling. I also started a daily routine of listing things I am grateful for. I first would write this list down but now I sit out on my porch, watching the birds in the morning with my cup of tea or coffee, and thank god for everything I am grateful for. It’s amazing how such a simple practice can change the way one perceives life.
 When my depression was really bad, I went to many therapy sessions and did guided hypnotherapy. There’s a great website where you can download different self guided meditation tracks; the subjects range from PTSD to addiction, and much more. You can download these tracks to your computer, then to your iPod or phone. I have a few for PTSD, pain and even sleep. I really like the sleep one because it’s ok if you fall asleep during it, means it’s working! The website is healthjourneys.com. Depression affects everyone and does not discriminate who you are. It’s sad how taboo the topic of depression is; people become very uncomfortable talking about it. But if we don’t talk about it and have more awareness that it impacts EVERYONE, we will continue to lose people to suicides. You may not have to personally deal with depression yourself but I guarantee you know someone who does. I’ve dealt with the levels of depression and it has ranged throughout my years, some years were worse than others, but I fight through it using my tools I've learned to deal with it. I was a dramatic child at times growing up, and didn’t understand the feelings I was feeling. So I lashed out in different ways to expel the thoughts of death, anger, and the empty hole I would feel inside. Now as an adult, I understand how to work through those dark moments. But it took a lot of help from therapists, life style change, and hypnotherapy to get where I am at today
I am honestly sick of losing friends to depression. Breaks my heart they felt that there was no way out of the dark depths of their pain and mind. I know what it feels like to be down there. It’s scary and I understand why they felt the only relief would be through death. If you’ve never dealt with depression it’s hard to understand why someone would be so selfish to take his or her own life. Did they not think of their loved ones and how this would affect them? They may have but I bet they also felt that their families would be better off without them; I know those feelings all to well.... Shit I had those feelings not too long ago.
There was a time I was on anti-depressants, and when I hit 17 I chose not to take them anymore; I wanted to feel what life was like without them. It was fucking awful for a few years. I was a mess but eventually I learned techniques that worked for me. Everyone is different and processes things so differently than others. So for some, anti-depressants work amazingly, just not for me and that’s ok. I think we need to let people know it’s ok to find what works for you. There’s not a “cure all” with a big pretty bow. I don’t know if there ever is an answer in life that is nicely wrapped and ready to go. Would be nice wouldn’t it? 
Don’t feel ashamed of having those feelings, you’re not alone. But don’t let them run and ruin your life. Please reach out to people whom you love and trust. They will not judge you and if they do, fuck them. Find the help and support you need. You don’t deserve to feel like the world would be a better place if you were not in it. I know it’s hard and scary to reach out, but you can do it. I wish I had more comforting words to help you get the courage to seek help. Only you can make the choice that your life is worth more than suffering in silence. I can tell you that life is worth living, and experiencing the adventures that it holds, and to see all the beauty that surrounds us. There will always be ups and downs, that’s life; but I feel there is so much more to life than the sorrow we feel. Yes, in those moments it may seem like there is nothing else but that deep pain, I promise you that is not the case. Please don’t lose hope, look at all the blessings you do have. Reach out and grab those memories/people like a lifeline until you can get the help you need. If you feel like you cannot turn to anyone in your life, there is a crisis hotline: 1-800-273-8255

Please remember everyone is dealing with their own demons and battling their own fights. Be kind to one another and spread kindness instead of hate. Love will make this world a better place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Darkness My Old Friend

Be Unapologetically, Apologetically You!